Saturday, March 31, 2007

Review: Canon ELAN 7n


Hello and welcome to my review of the Canon ELAN 7n 35mm SLR Camera.

This is a mid level SLR camera offered by Canon, that comes with a wide variety of features and is an amazing choice for beginners, students and upcomming professionals. Sooner or later you will want to move on up to a bigger and better camera, but this is an overall great choice.

One of the better things about this camera is the price. You can find a new one for $350 to $500 depending on what it comes with. This is a significantly lower price than most cameras in it's quality range. It also is far chepaer than it's digital counterpoint.

You have over 50 lenses to choose from that fit the body for this camera. It's a light easy to handle camera that has enough setting to choose from for the beginner who wants the camera to do all the technical work and also allows for you to fully control every aspect of the photo manually. I've had one for a couple years now and there are almost no scenarios where I need any other camera.

It's durability is actually quite impressive, as far as stabdard camera durability goes. Just don't go dropping it off any cliffs.

It has just about the fastest AF (Auto Focus) for a camera in it's class, a very decent shots per second and a very good light metering system. I've heard some complaign that the backing is a little flimsy. I didn't experience this myself at all, I would say that after a bit of use it appears that it may be a little bit open, but it's not and I tested it out many many times to make sure, the back is still always jsut as tight as when I got it, but when you push it it goes in a little past it's "click" point, which gave me the fear that it wasn't completely closed at first.

The biggest dowside is that it can be quite tough to find one! Took me a solid three days of driving to every store I could find before I found one.

There is also the Canon ELAN 7ne, which is a slight upgrade to the 7n. The prices are around the same, maybe off by $10 or $20 last time I checked. If you find a place selling the ELAN 7ne just pick that one up, they are literally almost identical, they even share the same users manual.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone who wants to get into photography, wants to upgrade from one of the "Rebel" lines offered by Canon or the professional who needs a smaller camera for on the go shots or "hard to climb" places where lugging around a massive large format camera and tripod is out of the question.

-Steve

No comments: